We know how difficult it is to go through everything that cancer causes you to endure. We know the toll it took on us, emotionally, physically, and financially while Jeff, my husband, was in his battle. We have compiled a few items for you that we found helpful to Jeff and to our family in our Care Bags.
Our Care Bags include:
• An insulated bag to keep medication or groceries cool to reduce bacteria growth
• A soft blanket to keep you or a family member warm
• A water bottle to keep you hydrated
• A medication organizer to keep it all straight
• A bag of mint candies to reduce nausea
• A lip balm to protect your lips
• Hand sanitizer to use regularly to keep you free from bacteria that can be harmful
• Hand lotion to moisturize your hands
• A toothbrush and toothpaste pack
• A parking token for the Texas Medical Center garages
• A gift card for you and your family to use for gas, groceries, food at the hospital, medication or another parking token
Along with the emotional toil that is felt by those that are receiving medical treatment for cancer and other life threatening diseases, there are the “incidental” costs that insurance does not cover. Making multiple trips to the hospital or clinic, parking, gasoline, meals, etc., can mount up to hundreds or even thousands of dollars in expenses and can eventually exhaust a family’s savings.
Our fundraising efforts allowed us to create the Yay 4 Life! Patient Assistance Fund at The Methodist Hospital Cancer Center with $10,000 to provide parking tokens, food vouchers, and transportation expenses to patients and their families.
In 2015, Yay 4 Life! replenished $5,000 of the Cancer Patient Assistance Fund at Houston Methodist Hospital Cancer Center.
Yay 4 Life! provides two different scholarships and other educational support at Friendswood Independent School District.
Yay 4 Life! Hope Scholarship
Yay 4 Life! wants to inspire ambitious students, despite their setbacks, to create a life of hope and possibility by providing financial assistance to attend the college of their choice. We have established the Yay 4 Life! Hope Scholarship to assist a cancer patient or a child or sibling of a cancer patient with a financial resource to continue their post-secondary educational endeavors.
Jeff “Howie” Howison Technical Lighting Scholarship
The Jeff “Howie” Howison Technical Lighting Scholarship (Memorial) was established to reward a student or students whom have participated in the FHS musical and selected by the directors as having demonstrated outstanding work in the area of lighting for two or more years.
Yay 4 Life! has provided other educational support to Friendswood High School to purchase some much needed lights for the Myrlene Kennedy Auditorium.